My work in the "Courage to Heal" workbook has finally reached the "tough" topic stages. The most recent work was identifying areas of my life which had been affected by my abuse. Through a series of statements ranked "Often" to "never", a quick overview of areas that were impacted by the abuse were shown. No big surprises for me: sex, intimacy, and self-esteem were the "high-hit" areas. I was very pleased to find the lack of any impact on the ability to parent, which has always been a fear of mine. What's incredible about this process is the realization of how the effects of abuse can truly permeate through life. The number of areas that are touched are amazing. There's always the thought that crimes impact more than that which is seen on the surface, but it is SO true for child sexual abuse...I'm sure my abuser has NO idea how much her abuse sent shatters through my life. I would love for her to have to face that realization, but I'd rather be victor in spite of her despicable behavior. My victory is having survived, then overcoming and winning in life in spite of my past.
Thursday, October 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment